We asked readers to nominate their health heroes, and as ever we’ve had an overwhelming response for the Best of Health Awards 2014.
Since April this year we have asked people to put forward those in the health sector who they feel go above and beyond what is expected of them.
We asked you to nominate groups, individuals, volunteers and organisations, in 13 categories, including the new Innovation of the Year category.
In the fifth year of the awards, today we reveal all of those nominated across the categories this year.
The list is made up of the nominations of volunteers and healthcare professionals, who you think deserve to be recognised.
We’ve had entries for doctors, nurses, dentists and pharmacists, who have been outstanding in their field to patients and their families.
Mark Waldron, editor of The News, says: ‘I am pleased to see yet again how much our readers value the healthcare they receive.
‘All the people on our nominations list don’t ask for praise or glory, but I would hope that seeing their names in The News today will ensure they know that what they do day-in, day-out is not only recognised but really appreciated by their patients.
‘Thank you to all those who nominated.’
Those on the nominations’ list will be invited to the ceremony at the Guildhall in Portsmouth on Friday, October 17.
And we’re hoping as many of you as possible will join us to celebrate the achievements of those who make the health service what it is.
Dr Janet Maxwell, director of public health for Portsmouth, says: ‘These awards offer us the opportunity to recognise the individuals who make a special effort to go above and beyond their normal day-to-day duties to help residents and their families live healthier lives.
‘Congratulations to all the nominated entrants.
‘I’m looking forward to judging the submissions and celebrating the successes of all the organisations who deliver excellent healthcare services in the Portsmouth area.’
For ticket details see the bottom of the page
Hospital Doctor of the Year
- Dr Danny Dubois, oncologist
- Michael Jeffrey, consultant ophthamologist
- Paul Gibbs, renal consultant surgeon
- Daniel O’Leary, consultant colorectal surgeon
- Richard Aspinall, consultant hepatologist
- Dr Steven Young Min, consultant rheumatologist
Hospital Team of the Year
Sponsored by Lalys
- Urology team
- Hydrotherapy team
- Respiratory team, ward E8
- Infection control in pathology
- Radiotherapy medical physics (oncology)
- Physiotherapy, QA at home
Hospital Nurse of the Year
Sponsored by Wave 105
- Pat Harding, surgery and cancer
- Nicola Barrett, ears, nose, throat specialist
- Charleen Cunnings, respiratory, ward E8
- Carlie Madgwick, respiratory, ward E8
- Nurse team at Gosport War Memorial Hospital
Midwife of the Year
Sponsored by Portsmouth Cultural Trust
- Julie Woodman
- Caroline Weeks
- Penny Bone
GP Practice of the Year
- The Denmead Practice, Hambledon
- Westlands Medical Centre, Portchester
- The Curlew Practice, Havant
- The Highlands Practice, Fareham
- Hanway Group Practice, Portsmouth
- Heyward Road Surgery, Southsea
- Horndean Surgery, Waterlooville
- Portchester Health Centre, Portchester
- Brockhurst Medical Centre, Gosport
- Sunnyside Medical Centre, Portsmouth
Community Nurse/Team of the Year
- Fareham 1 Community Care Team, Porchester Health Centre
- Karen Cox, senior healthcare support worker, older people’s mental health
- Portsmouth Family Nurse Partnership Team
- Mandy May, health visitor
- Breastfeeding Support and Healthy Weight Team
- Annette Stevens, research sister/study coordinator, memory access research centre
Pharmacy of the Year
- Lloyds Pharmacy, Westlands Grove, Portchester
- Morrisons chemist, Gosport
- Brockhurst Pharmacy, Gosport
- Boots the Chemist, Leigh Park
- Lloyds Pharmacy, Broadlaw Walk, Fareham
- Copnor Pharmacy, Portsmouth
Sponsored by Admiral Care
- QA security team
- Cheryl Anderson, regional coordinator for Look Good Feel Better, at QA
- Mike Vincent and the volunteer team at The Rowans Hospice
- Dave Ritchie and van drivers for The Rowans Hospice
- Steve Camburn, play volunteer Naomi House
- Denise ‘Dinks’ Reader, charity store volunteer for Naomi House
Mental Health Team/Worker of the Year
- Andie Harbourne, mental health worker
- Martin Dunning/ day treatment team at St James’ Hospital
- Appleby Ward, The Limes
- Joel O’Beirne, adult mental health support worker
- Samantha Wilkinson, mental health practitioner
- Solent Recovery College Team
Carer of the Year
- Sisterly Care, Havant
- Admiral Care, Portsmouth
- Emsworth House care home, Emsworth
- Somerset Care, Havant
Dental Practice of the Year
Sponsored by NatWest
- Coast Dental Practice, Southsea
- Oasis Dental Practice, Waterlooville
- Health House Dental Practice, Portsmouth
- Gowers Dental Practice, Southsea
- Castle Dental Practice, Fareham
Ambulance Worker of the Year
Sponsored by the University of Portsmouth
- Rick Berry, clinical mentor
- Jon Harvey, emergency care assistant
- Will Johnston, call handler
Innovation of the Year
- Professor Anoop Chauhan for MISSION
- Portsmouth Clinical Commissioning Group for lung MOTs
- Cosham Park House, triage work
- Dr Jon Price, end-of-life care work
- Falling down the rabbit hole, interactive play
- Dr Alan McFarlane, reducing pathology costs
Tickets cost £38.50 per person and include a welcome drink, two-course meal and a disco.
Dietary requirements will need to be given prior to the awards ceremony which is on Friday, October 17.
Doors open at 6.45pm and the evening begins at 7.20pm.
To buy tickets, visit jpsouthevents.co.uk/events/event/the-news-best-of-health-awards/