We lost our baby but we’re proud to have saved lives

19/1/12        PM''Amy Bevis and partner Richard Fraser of Sarisbury Green whose son William Fraser died age 19 days of meningitis last November''Picture: Paul Jacobs (120213-2)
19/1/12 PM''Amy Bevis and partner Richard Fraser of Sarisbury Green whose son William Fraser died age 19 days of meningitis last November''Picture: Paul Jacobs (120213-2)

Toy store donates £8,000 to QA Hospital

0
Have your say

HE LEFT this world at just 19 days old – but baby William Fraser’s legacy will live on.

Parents Amy Bevis, 28, and Richard Fraser, 25, had to make the agonising decision to turn off their son’s ventilator after he was diagnosed with meningitis last November.

19/1/12        PM''Amy Bevis and partner Richard Fraser of Sarisbury Green whose son William Fraser died age 19 days of meningitis last November. William is pictured 1 day old

19/1/12 PM''Amy Bevis and partner Richard Fraser of Sarisbury Green whose son William Fraser died age 19 days of meningitis last November. William is pictured 1 day old

But they were determined to make sure no other families suffered the heartache they did.

So when they were asked if William’s heart valves could be put on the organ donor register, they did not hesitate to say yes.

The pair, of Weybridge Close, Sarisbury Green, have now received a letter from a hospital in Oxford, telling them that thanks to that donation, William had saved the lives of two babies.

Window cleaner Richard said: ‘Our consultant asked us if we would be kind enough to consider donating the valves.

‘We said yes straight away – it didn’t need thinking about.

‘If some other family could have a baby with a decent life then something good will have come from William’s short life.’

William was born last November at his home, weighing a healthy 8lb 8oz.

But within days he had become poorly and wasn’t feeding well.

Worried Amy – a health care support worker – called her midwife and then her doctor for help, but the disease wasn’t spotted.

When William’s health failed to improve, she took him to Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, where tests revealed he had pneumococcal meningitis – an aggressive form of the brain bug.

After family members said an emotional goodbye to William, he was brought home where he died on November 21.

‘It’s nice to know that other parents didn’t have to go through the turmoil we did,’ added Richard.

‘It’s scary for parents to see that sort of thing, and we’re glad we helped.’