Heating causes fire in Portsmouth flat while occupant was away at work

Cladding being taken off Horatia House in Somers Town Portsmouth

PICTURED: Residents react as work starts to remove cladding from two Somers Town high rises due to fire risks after Grenfell Tower blaze

0
Have your say

FAULTY underfloor heating caused a fire in a ground floor flat in High Street, Old Portsmouth.

Three crews from Southsea Fire Station were called in to put out the blaze, which destroyed a bedroom and left the other rooms of the flat with smoke damage.

Crew manager Conrad Stockey said the flat’s occupant was at work when neighbours raised the alarm about 1.30pm yesterday. Mr Stockey said it was rare for an underground heating unit to cause a fire. He said: ‘It’s the first time I’ve come across it.’

Back to the top of the page