House suffers smoke damage after fire in Eastney

Police applied to the courts to have a flat in Turner Avenue shut down

Gosport flat issued with closure order after drug-dealing reported

0
Have your say

A HOUSE in Eastney suffered smoke damage after a fire this afternoon.

Fire crews had to force entry into the property, which was empty at the time, in Ward Road at 12.49pm.

The alarm was raised by a neighbour, who noticed smoke appearing through their cavity wall.

Fire fighters from Southsea and Cosham investigated and found the smoke was coming from the eaves of the property nearby.

The fire took hold in the lounge of the house.

They used three breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets and positive pressure ventilation equipment to deal with the blaze.

It took around an hour to clear the scene. The occupants were informed by the police and returned to the property.

Watch manager Peter Scott, from Southsea fire station, said: ‘If we hadn’t noticed the smoke coming from the cavity walls it could’ve got a lot worse.’