Jammed paper causes fire to break out at The News Centre

FIRE At the printing press at The News Centre
FIRE At the printing press at The News Centre
Fellow student Bethany Toon, 17, with Bruce Wetherill, 25, at St Vincent College, Gosport  Picture: Neil Marshall (171028-16)

Bruce a step closer to his army dream

2
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS were called out after a fire broke out at The News Centre.

The alarm was raised at the printing presses of The News, in Hilsea, after some waste paper got jammed on a conveyor belt system in the press area and set some machinery alight.

Two fire engines and a special equipment unit from Cosham and a engine and an aerial ladder platform from Southsea went to the incident at 4am this morning.

Crews had to remove parts of the machinery and move a large refuse container in order to access the burning material.

There was minor smoke damage in the printing area and the refuse paper system is out of use.

Cosham watch manager Ian Sales, who led the operation, said: ‘It was a safe operation. It was dealt with very swiftly considering the difficulty of access.’

· Due to the fire, editions of The News are arriving later than normal at retailers. We apologise for the inconvenience.