‘Keep communal areas tidy or lives will be put at risk’ says Portsmouth fire official

The Royal Pier Hotel, now Rees Hall.

NOSTALGIA: No bath for 10 weeks

0
Have your say

A WOMAN was rescued from her flat after it caught fire.

Fire crews jumped to the resident’s aid in St Andrew’s Road, Southsea, in the early hours of Wednesday.

She had fallen asleep and left the cooker on.

Fire alarms alerted other residents in the building but the woman had not got up.

Four firefighters in breathing apparatus broke in and rescued her and used hoses to put out the flames.

The woman was treated for smoke inhalation.

Residents have been reminded about the importance of safety - as crews had to manoeuvre around bicycles left in a communal area.

Adam Moseley, the officer in charge of the incident, said: ‘It made life very difficult for our team. I had to commit members of my team to dealing with getting the hoses up the stairs, which is something I would not normally do.’