Late-night chip pan fire in Portsmouth

Nearly 2,700 cases of non-recent child abuse have been recorded by police in Hampshire. The NSPCC's chief executive said it is a sign that more people are confident in reporting the crimes perpetrated against them.

‘Widespread abuse’ as police record 2,700 cases of historic sex crimes against children

0
Have your say

STUDENTS had a lucky escape after a late-night cooking session ended in a fire.

The blaze started in the ground-floor kitchen of a home in Playfair Road, Somers Town, at about 12.30am on Saturday.

Two crews from Southsea fire station attended the scene.

Watch manager Ian Jeffery said: ‘When we got there it was quite well alight and everyone was standing outside.

‘One of them had been cooking chips and the fat caught fire.

‘She did the right thing and turned off the gas, didn’t try to move it, and then called us.

‘We would strongly advise people not to cook chips that way, but if you have to don’t fill it more than a third of the way.’

The oven, a fridge and extractor unit were all damaged by fire.

No-one was injured in the incident.