Lit candles cause two room fires

Eastney Beach and Southsea esplanade

Pair of Portsmouth beaches hailed ‘excellent’ by inspectors

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS have warned about the danger of leaving lit candles unattended following two bedroom fires.

Fire crews from Fareham and Gosport were called to a house in Bridgemary, Gosport after a fire broke out at 12.28pm on Saturday.

A couple had left the room before realising the flame from their candle had spread when the smoke alarm went off.

After attempting to put out the fire themselves they evacuated their home before emergency services arrived.

Firefighters used breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet to put out the flames, which destroyed half of the bedroom.

Emergency services stayed for two hours and made sure the house was safe enough to go back into.

The male resident suffered burns to his hand and was taken to Gosport War Memorial Hospital for treatment.

In a separate incident, two students escaped without any injuries after a lit candle caused a bedroom fire at their home in Telephone Road, Southsea, at 8.30pm that evening.

Ian Cambridge, blue watch manager at Fareham fire station, said: ‘We are urging residents to be careful when they use candles.

‘If you are leaving a room make sure that any candles in it are put out as they can cause a fire.

‘If people do not have a smoke alarm fitted then we are asking them to contact their local fire station so a fitting can be arranged.’