DCSIMG

Elderly man suffers 50 per cent burns after accidentally setting himself alight

SPECIALIST burns medics are treating a man who accidently set fire to himself while trying to light his pipe.

A supervisor at Brunel Court sheltered housing complex heard the man’s smoke alarm go off and found him in his room at the complex in Nutfield Place, Fratton, at 4.30am today.

She called firefighters from Southsea who put out the flames and administered first aid until paramedics arrived.

The man was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, by ambulance but then transferred by air ambulance to Swansea Morriston Hospital, in South Wales, to be treated in the specialist burns unit.

He has burns to his hands, arms, legs and face.

Firefighter Alexander Hay, who was the crew manager at the time, said the victim was conscious and able to talk but very shaken up.

Police are aware of the incident but say they are not investigating.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page