DCSIMG

Heater causes bedroom fire in student house

Fire.

Fire.

 

SMOKE and fire damage has been caused to a bedroom after a blaze broke out in the early hours of this morning.

Two crews from Southsea were called to a student house in Walmer Road, Fratton, at 2am today.

One of the bedrooms caught fire after an electric fan heater was left on the bed.

It set fire to the bedding and clothes left on it.

The heater is believed to be faulty, as the occupant of the room said they had switched it off before leaving the house.

Crew manager Steve Jennings said: ‘A fan heater was left on the bedding, and even though it was off, a fault caused the fire to start.

‘Luckily there was no one in the room and the other two occupants of the house raised the alarm.’

Crews were at the house for an hour as they put out the fire and ensured the scene was safe.

A safety message is being given about smoke alarms, as even though the home was fitted with one, the batteries needed replacing.

Mr Jennings added: ‘There was a lot of smoke damage to the upper floor and fire damage in the bedroom.

‘With electrical equipment, we ask people to make sure appliances are away from anything that could catch fire.

‘And always test your smoke alarm to make sure it is working and replace batteries if they have run out.’

No one was injured.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page