DCSIMG

Katrice’s family boosted by support

Waiting for Video...
 
 

The family of missing toddler Katrice Lee say they have been boosted by support for their call for Government action.

Relatives of Katrice and their friends marched on Downing Street yesterday after a 31-year wait for justice.

Katrice’s mother, Sharon Lee, 59, and sister Natasha Lee, 38, both of Gosport, marked the 31st anniversary of the day Katrice went missing from a NAAFI supermarket in Paderborn, Germany on November 28 in 1981, condemning the Royal Military Police’s initial investigation into the case.

Led by Natasha, more than 20 campaigners, including Gosport’s MP Caroline Dinenage and members of Katrice’s father Richard’s former regiment, the 15th/19th The King’s Royal Hussars, marched from St James’s Park to Downing Street, demanding justice.

In London, Mrs Lee said: ‘If someone had told me 31 years ago that I’d still be waiting 31 years down the road to find out what happened to my daughter, to be honest with you I don’t know if I would’ve survived it.

‘As time goes on you take each year as it comes and you learn to cope with it.

‘You can’t live with it 24/7 every day of the week in your face because you wouldn’t cope with it.’

At Downing Street, the campaigners delivered two letters addressed to prime minister David Cameron, one written by a member of Mr Lee’s former regiment and one by 10-year-old Sian Jebb.

Sian, of Barking, asked her mother Siobhan to send the letter to Mrs Lee, after she heard about Katrice’s case.

Mrs Lee said she was comforted by the letter, along with the people who have joined the campaign.

She says the original investigation was flawed, focusing on the nearby river, rather than the possibility Katrice was abducted.

She said: ‘I’m hoping David Cameron will agree to give us an independent inquiry into the 1981 investigation.

‘I did write a letter to Mr Cameron and my MP Caroline Dinenage has also asked him for this inquiry.

‘He met the Ministry of Defence, listened to their side of events but I want him to meet Natasha and I to hear our side of the story.’

An item on the BBC’s Crimewatch last week and a debate in the House of Commons, which saw defence minister Mark Francois agree to meet the family, has led to new information being given to the Royal Military Police’s current investigation.

Click here to sign the family’s petition calling for police investigation files to be released.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page