DCSIMG

Pompey vow to work with police after fans arrested

Harry Davis and the injury he suffered after the game on Saturday

Harry Davis and the injury he suffered after the game on Saturday

POMPEY have vowed to work with police to address the growing problems between some fans of the club and Newport County supporters.

It comes after clashes after the Blues’ 1-0 loss to the Welsh club on Saturday at Fratton Park.

Harry Davis, an 18-year-old Pompey fan from Gosport suffered a fractured skull when he was allegedly attacked at Fratton train station.

It’s not the first time there has been trouble with Newport fans clashing with Pompey supporters.

Last season, police in Newport had to segregate fans when Pompey travelled there in March and there was a large police presence in the town centre in the build-up to the game.

Flares have also been let off by both sets of supporters at previous meetings.

Pompey’s chief executive Mark Catlin said: ‘We are responsible for what goes on within the stadium and that went off perfectly well.

‘There weren’t any incidents within the stadium. It was quite a good match. Both sets of fans were boisterous and supported their team.

‘At every game there is always the potential for crowd trouble but thankfully, it’s diminishing. The vast majority of fans behaved very well.

‘Every game is taken on a game by game basis. We will work extremely closely with police and a decision will be made closer to the time.’

A spokesman for Newport County said the club has been made aware of the reported incidents and the club’s assigned police inspector will look into the claims and compile a report.

Steve Hudson is the owner of the Shepherd’s Crook pub in Goldsmith Avenue.He turned down around 150 Newport supporters after fears of violence.

He said: ‘Newport fans and Southampton fans are the only ones we don’t let in.

‘Last year, Newport fans let off four flares and they were generally very rowdy all the time.

‘Normally we let away fans in before the game but it was too much of a risk.

‘We turned away three coach-loads of fans. With other fans, it’s fine. We might get the odd flare but normally there aren’t any problems.’

British Transport Police confirmed a 33-year-old man from Newport was arrested on suspicion of grevious bodily harm and has been bailed until Wednesday, October 1.

Meanwhile, Hampshire police said a 20-year-old man from Newport has been charged with being drunk and disorderly after a bottle was thrown. He will appear before Portsmouth magistrates on Tuesday, September 16.

Claims that an eight-year-old girl had been hit by the bottle are untrue, according to Hampshire police.

Football violence will not be tolerated, police say

PUBLIC safety at football games is a priority, Hampshire police have said.

Hampshire’s football lead, Superintendant Andy Houghton said: ‘Hampshire Constabulary work closely with Portsmouth Football Club and the teams that they play to help ensure public safety is a priority. Football violence on or off the terraces is infrequent but when it does occur it’s taken seriously and those taking part face being arrested, charged and sentenced. They also face a football banning order.

‘It is normal practice for our officers to attend away games and work with the police forces there to assist with ensuring public safety by helping to prevent and detect offences.’

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news