DCSIMG

Pyramids Centre to stay shut for summer as the repairs continue

REPAIR WORK The Pyramids Centre has been closed since February

REPAIR WORK The Pyramids Centre has been closed since February

PLANS to reopen the Pyramids Centre have been put back by another month as work continues to repair it following flood and storm damage earlier this year.

Portsmouth City Council contractors have been undertaking work to replace the mechanical and electrical plant room equipment after the centre was closed in February.

It was due to reopen this month.

To avoid further disruption and closures in the future, the council and BH Live have also brought forward improvement works that were planned to take place further in the future.

The majority of the works are due to be completed over the next few weeks.

Mike Lyons, BH Live’s director of leisure facilities said: ‘It was initially hoped we would be able to access parts of the building to resume some services whilst the final works were being carried out however, due to the complexities of the project, this has not been possible.

‘The works both we and Portsmouth City Council have undertaken should significantly reduce the need for closures and disruption in the future and we will all be very pleased to be reopening the doors again and welcoming the local community back into the centre.

‘We know our customers are very keen to get back into Pyramids and are appreciative of everyone who has supported us and Portsmouth City Council in getting the centre back up and running.’

Councillor Donna Jones, leader of Portsmouth City Council, said: ‘I am disappointed that the Pyramids will remain closed for another month.

‘It is the busiest time of 
the year for a venue such as this.

‘The damage caused to the plant room during the storms and severe floods earlier this year caused substantial damage.

‘An insurance claim was made and the repairs carried out.

‘The Pyramids occupies a key site along the seafront and I will be keeping a close eye on its success over the next 12 months.’

Events are intended to restart in the Plaza Suite with a boxing event on Saturday, August 30.

The swimming pools, gym, spa and soft play facilities will be opened at some point during September, although a date has not yet been confirmed.

Mr Lyons added: ‘Events which were scheduled to take place whilst the building remains closed will either be accommodated in alternative venues, rescheduled to another date or cancelled.’

To find out more information, visit pyramids-live.co.uk, call (023) 9279 9977 or email info.pyramids@bhlive.co.uk.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page