DCSIMG

Southsea home fills with smoke after man falls asleep

A 29-YEAR-OLD man was given first aid after he fell asleep and forgot he had left food cooking on his stove.

Firefighters from Southsea fire station were called to a flat in Little Southsea Street, Southsea. A neighbour dialled 999 after they heard the man’s fire alarm go off and saw smoke when they peered through his letterbox.

Eight firefighters broke down the door and found him unconscious inside.

He was provided with oxygen from a tank and they made him feel comfortable before South Central Ambulance Service arrived.

By that time he was conscious. He didn’t need to go to hospital.

The incident happened at around 1.35am yesterday morning.

Crew manager Chris Moregate said: ‘If the neighbour hadn’t called 999, it would have developed into something much worse and would have been a different 
story.

‘Smoke alarms and caring neighbours save lives, that’s the message from this.

‘The neighbour had looked through the letter box and saw smoke coming through the kitchen.

‘We broke down the door and performed first aid.’

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page