DCSIMG

Titchfield man saved from fire by smoke detector

 

A MAN is lucky to be alive this morning after a fire broke out in his living room in the early hours.

The man, who is in his early 30s, fell asleep in the lounge of his terraced house in Branewick Close, Titchfield Park, and was woken by his smoke detector at around 3.45am.

Fire crews from Fareham and Hightown stations tackled the fire, working in thick smoke.

A spokesman from Fareham fire station said: ‘He was very lucky. He was deeply asleep, and if he’d not had any smoke detectors it would have been a different outcome.

‘As it is he was very lucky.’

The fire was put out by 4.30am, and a fan was used to clear the smoke from the house.

Yesterday The News reported how a couple living in Portchester had a lucky escape after a fire started in their kitchen.

They, too, had been woken in the early hours by their smoke detectors.

The fire service is reiterating the message that not only should detectors be fitted, but they should regularly be tested to ensure they are working.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page