Lucky escape after chip pan fire

Students at the merged Havant and South Downs College receiving their results this morning Picture: Tamara Siddiqui

A-LEVELS: Schools and colleges report early results

0
Have your say

A FLAT-owner had a lucky escape after his chip pan went up in flames.

Now firefighters are repeating safety advice for people to replace their old-fashioned oil chip pans with thermostatically-controlled deep fat fryers.

Fire engines went to Weller House, in Wingfield Street, Buckland, at about 7.45pm on Saturday.

Crew manager Dave Wilcocks, from Southsea fire station, said: ‘The man had a lucky escape.

‘He left his cooking on the stove. The smoke alarm activated and he rushed back in.

‘The pan had burst into flames and he threw a tea towel on top.

‘It could have been a lot more serious.’

He said the general advice in chip pan fires was to let firefighters deal with it.

‘He could have injured himself or somebody else at the same time,’ he said.