Man escapes from fire thanks to smoke detector

James Taylor at his desk in his office at 116 High Street, Old Portsmouth.

Those halcyon days when pen and paper just worked!

0
Have your say

A man has escaped from a fire at his home in Fareham, thanks to a smoke detector.

The fire broke out at roughly 5am in a bungalow in Longmynd Drive after an electrical fault in an appliance started the blaze in the kitchen.

The man, who has not been named by fire fighters, was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital with severe smoke inhalation.

Fire fighters from Fareham attended the fire, and a pump from Cosham was also on hand in order to provide the crew with a special fan to ventilate the smoke out from the property.

The fire took around 20 minutes to put out, but the crews remained on scene until around 6.30am.

A spokesman for the Fareham fire station said: ‘It was the smoke detector which alerted him and saved his life.’