AN elderly man was taken to hospital with serious burns following a gas explosion in the kitchen at his home.
The property in Elson Road, Elson, Gosport, was evacuated and the injured man was taken to hospital by ambulance with a police escort following the incident, which happened in the ground floor kitchen of the property at about 2.21am today.
More than a dozen firefighters were called to the scene after the explosion, which caused windows at the man’s home to blow out.
However Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said there was no fire. Firefighters were at the scene for about two hours.
Crews from Gosport, as well as a specialist equipment unit from Cosham and Urban Search and Rescue advisors were called out as a precaution amid concerns the structure of the building had been damaged.
Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman Mark Brittain said: ‘There was a gas explosion in the building. A person was being treated for serious burns.
‘Two pumps went from Gosport, a specialist equipment unit from Cosham and also Urban Search and Rescue advisors because they suspected structural damage to the property.
‘They called out a structural engineer and they had to evacuate the property as well because of the risk.’