Mirror causes fire at Portsmouth home

Clipper Round the World Race crew member Simon Speirs who has died after being swept overboard during the round-the-world yacht race

Portsmouth legend Knox-Johnston leads tributes to sailor killed during Clipper race

0
Have your say

THE reflection of sunlight from a mirror caused a small fire in a bathroom.

A paper blind in a home at Westover Road, Baffins, caught fire and started to smoke.

Firefighter Rikky Noble, from Southsea fire station, said: ‘The residents noticed there was some smoke coming from their bathroom.

‘They went upstairs and put the fire out.

‘It was caused by a small convex mirror. The sun had caught it and it acted like a magnifying glass on their paper blinds.

‘It was very little. It had just started to smoke and they threw water over it.

‘They did everything correctly and were outside by the time we turned up.’

Fire engines arrived at the house at about 3.45pm on Saturday.

Mr Noble said these types of fires were quite rare in homes.

He said: ‘It doesn’t have to be warm, it just has to be good sunlight.

‘As the clouds cleared it caught it and this happened. It’s a million to one chance.’

At about 4pm, firefighters put out a bin fire in Cumberland Street, Portsea.