THE Salvation Army is encouraging the public to dig deep and donate to The News food appeal as increasing numbers of people ask for help as Christmas approaches.
Melvyn Thomas, from the Southsea branch, said they already have 25 per cent more people asking for help this Christmas than they did last year.
The branch distributes Christmas hampers to those in need across the city and they organise a meal on the big day.
Melvyn said: ‘It’s very important that people of Portsmouth are aware that there are so many people out there trying to help those in need in the city. There is a lot of deprivation still in the city.
‘For those of us who are sitting at home at Christmas, it’s easy to forget these people.
‘We have noticed that there has been a considerable increase in requests.
‘Just sit for a few minutes and consider how fortunate you are and then think of other people out there who may not have any heating. Sometimes we take it for granted.
‘I feel so pleased that we can do this work at this time of the year. It’s so rewarding.
‘It means people can enjoy Christmas rather than worry about it.’
To make a donation just add an extra item from the list when you go shopping and put it in one of our trolleys.
We are also looking for butchers to donate turkeys for meals taking place on Christmas Day.
WHERE YOU CAN DONATE
· Tesco, Crasswell Street
· Tesco, Clement Atlee Way, North Harbour
· Sainsbury’s, Commercial Road
· Sainsbury’s, Fitzherbert Road, Farlington
· Asda, Bridge Shopping Centre, Fratton
· Morrisons, Anchorage Park
· Portsmouth Food Bank, Kings Church, Elm Grove.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 12pm until 2pm
· Morrisons, Lakesmere Road, Horndean
· Asda, Larchwood Avenue, Bedhampton
· Asda, Portland Road, Waterlooville
· Tesco, Solent Road
· Leigh Park Baptist Church, Stockheath Road.
Monday - Thursday from 9am to 12pm
· Asda, Speedfields Park
· Tesco, Quay Street
· Sainsbury’s, Broadcut
· Fareham and Gosport Basics Bank, Aspect House, Westbury Road, Fareham. Open Monday and Friday - 1pm until 3pm, Wednesday 12.30pm until 1.30pm.
· Morrisons, Walpole Road
· Jacobs Well Church, Layton Road, Bridgemary 10am to midday on Tuesdays.
· The News Centre, Hilsea
· Gosport office, 42 High Street, Gosport
· Fareham office, 88 West Street, Fareham
· Havant office, 7 West Strreet, Havant
Alcohol free wine
Box of chocolates
Jar of sauce for chicken
Tin of fruit
Chocolate selection boxes