A man led his elderly mother to safety as fire ripped through their home.
Fifteen firefighters, some wearing breathing equipment, tackled the blaze in the Miller Drive, Fareham.
Mark Ryder, the crew manager at Fareham fire station, said the fire broke out in an upstairs bedroom shortly after 11pm yesterday and spread to the roof and a kitchen.
He said: ‘A man in his 50s was upstairs when the fire started. He dashed downstairs, grabbed his mother and led her to safety. They went next door to stay with neighbours.’
He said the man was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital as a precaution to be checked for the effects of breathing smoke. His mother was not hurt.
He said firefighters from two Fareham-based fire engines dealt with the blaze supported by one crew from Cosham. The bedroom was destroyed.
They left the scene at 3am today.