A MOTHER has spoken of her continued anguish as the anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks on New York approaches this Sunday.
Melanie de Vere, 30, was at a conference on the 106th floor of the north tower when the first plane struck it just seven floors below. She was one of the 67 British victims killed.
It was her second day working for the Risk Waters publishing firm, a job she already told her mum she loved.
Her mum, Maggy Owen, of Anchorage Park in Portsmouth, said: ‘She has been dead for 10 years but to me it still feels like 10 minutes.
‘There was no way she could get out.
‘We were told she could have died from the carbon monoxide poisoning, which I hold on to.
‘I can’t think she could have been killed by the fire because it was burning hotter than a crematorium. It melted the building.’
Melanie moved from Plymouth to Portsmouth when she was ﬁve years old and went to Mengham Junior School, Hayling Island, and on to Oaklands Catholic School in Waterlooville.
She studied dentistry at Highbury College before moving to London when she was 20.