MUM-OF-TWO Lana Tuffs has spoken of her terrifying ordeal after she was forced to throw her baby out of the window during a huge fire.
The 24-year-old said it was the scariest experience of her life as her family found themselves trapped in the upstairs of their home as flames raged below.
Lana had to grab her nine-month-old baby, Robbie, and drop him around 10ft into the arms of her husband, Steve Thorpe, who had jumped moments before with their four-year-old son Jack.
The full-time mum, who is terrified of heights, then had to jump into the garden below from the bedroom window in Park House Farm Way, Leigh Park, as reported in The News.
Lana’s vivid account comes as a fire investigation found the blaze, which started at about 1am on Thursday, was started by a faulty table lamp in the lounge.
Lana told The News: ‘I went to bed about 11pm and Steve was watching television downstairs. He must have fallen asleep on the sofa.
‘He woke me up at 1am. There was smoke everywhere.
‘I grabbed my baby and he went and got Jack.
‘We tried to go downstairs but it was thick with smoke. You couldn’t see or breathe. We just ran straight back into Jack’s room.
‘Once we were in the bedroom, it was filling up with smoke. We knew there was no other way out.’
She frantically tried to open the window, but couldn’t as it was stiff.
Steve, 30, punched through the window, slashing his hand on shards of glass.
Lana said: ‘He jumped out with Jack in his arms. It was the scariest thing of my life.
‘I thought we were going to die. I am petrified of heights and I can’t even go up to my loft. So to do that was very scary.
‘Especially having to put my kids out there, not knowing what was going to happen to them.
‘I dangled Robbie out of the bedroom window and then dropped him and Steve grabbed him.
‘I had to sit on the window ledge. Because there was glass I cut my legs and arm.’
Lana landed on a chair, spraining her ankle.
Lana said having to let go of her baby was heart-wrenching. ‘I was worried he was going to smash his head open,’ she said.
‘The kids were just screaming and screaming the whole time.
‘Jack has a few grazes on his back, but nothing is broken. There’s nothing wrong with Robbie though – I am amazed.’
Steve underwent an operation yesterday to repair tendons in his hand.
Lana said: ‘I don’t know what I would have done if Steve was not there. I am so proud of him.’
The family are staying with Lana’s parents, who live next door. Lana added: ‘The front room is just bricks. My telly has melted. The rest of the house is smoke damaged – it’s just black in every room.’