AN INVESTIGATION has been launched after a boy allegedly slipped from a fairground ride.
Louise Welcome claims her 10-year-old son George slipped from the Miami Extreme ride at Funlands, Hayling Island, because the safety bar was not down properly.
But the owner of the fairground says it would be impossible for that to happen because the ride will not even start without the safety bar being locked in position.
Mrs Welcome, of Britten Way, Waterlooville, has contacted the Health and Safety Executive, which investigates accidents, and it has confirmed an investigation has begun.
Mrs Welcome was told about the accident by her son’s carer who had taken him and his brother to the funfair earlier this month.
She said: ‘The bar did not come down far enough and he slipped.
‘Luckily, two children next to him grabbed him and he didn’t fall.
‘His carer was screaming at the guy to stop the ride.
‘She said she was told by him that there was somebody really tall on the ride and the bar did not go down as far as it should. He has put the lives of all the other children in jeopardy.’
But Marshall Hill, one of the owners of Funlands, strenuously denies Mrs Welcome’s claims.
He said the ride operative immediately shut down the ride when he realised George – who has special needs – was having a panic attack.
‘If the bar is not down the ride will not start,’ said Mr Hill. ‘The only way the bar can be released is by the ride operator.
‘On no account can that bar be raised externally. If the bar is not locked down in two places and the pin is across it the ride simply will not start.
‘The mother of the boy was not even here.’
Thrill-seekers sit in a row facing outwards on the Miami Extreme ride with the bar across their laps.
The ride then goes up and round.
A spokeswoman for the Health and Safety Executive confirmed it is investigating the incident, which happened on August 18.
George was unhurt.