Mum speaks of relief after family escape 5am blaze

Louise Sutton, 54, from Havant Road in Drayton who woke in the middle of the night to find that her kitchen was in flames after a phone charger docking station had set fire.
Louise Sutton, 54, from Havant Road in Drayton who woke in the middle of the night to find that her kitchen was in flames after a phone charger docking station had set fire.
Photo: Andrew Matthews/PA Wire

PICTURE GALLERY: USS George HW Bush off Stokes Bay

9
Have your say

A MUM has spoken of her fear as she and her family had to flee her home after waking in the middle of night to find the kitchen on fire.

Louise Sutton woke up at 4.30am yesterday to discover that a mobile phone docking station had overheated and set fire to her kitchen.

The 54-year-old, of Havant Road in Drayton woke her son Sean, 25, daughter Laura, 27 and Laura’s boyfriend Lewis and fled the house.

She said: ‘I woke up in the middle of the night. I do wake up quite regularly.

‘I looked at the clock by the TV upstairs, which wasn’t on. I thought there must be a power cut. Then I could smell something burning.

‘As I came into the hallway I noticed a lot of smoke.

‘I got there and shouted to the kids to call the fire brigade.

‘We all went outside. It was quite scary.

‘My next-door neighbour noticed the fire engine was out there so they offered for us to go in there until they had finished.

‘They made us a cup of tea, which was nice.’

A crew from Cosham fire station spent half an hour putting out the fire and trying to get rid of the smoke which caused damage to the kitchen.

Louise contacted her husband, Nick, who is working abroad, to let him know what had happened.

She is now working with the insurance company and an electrician to sort the problem out.

She also needs to get the house cleaned as it has been damaged by the smoke.

‘It could have been an awful lot worse,’ Louise added.

‘If I hadn’t woken up it could have been in flames.’

Watch manager Mark Norton from Cosham fire station, said: ‘There was quite heavy smoke-log to the kitchen area.

‘There was smoke-logging to the rest of the ground floor but fortunately everyone was out before we arrived.

‘They did have a working smoke alarm but because the kitchen doors were shut there was insufficient smoke into the hallway to trigger it.

‘I would suggest that to leave it (a mobile phone charger) plugged in an unattended overnight for a long period of time would not be ideal.’

He added that any electrical appliance that is not needed, such as a kettle or microwave, should be switched off and unplugged.