Mum tells of dramatic moment she and daughter escaped Fareham house fire that was captured on video

‘UK needs to boost its budget for the military’

0
Have your say

A MUM has told of her horror and devastation after a fire tore through and destroyed her house.

Lora Jenkins spoke of the terrifying moment she realised her home, on Hillson Drive, Fareham, was on fire.

Fire rages at Lora Jenkins' home in ''Hillson Drive, Fareham

Fire rages at Lora Jenkins' home in ''Hillson Drive, Fareham

Care worker Lora, 24, had been upstairs with her three-year-old daughter, Skyra, when she heard her smoke detector sound.

She rushed downstairs to find a fire in the corner of her living room.

Mum-of-three Lora said: ‘I could smell burning. I thought: “Oh my God”. It was only a small fire at first so I tried to put it out.

‘I got the washing up bowl full of water and threw it on to the fire, which made it worse.

Skyra Whittingham and her mum Lora Jenkins outside of their home in Hilson Drive, Fareham.''Picture: Allan Hutchings (132850-820)

Skyra Whittingham and her mum Lora Jenkins outside of their home in Hilson Drive, Fareham.''Picture: Allan Hutchings (132850-820)

‘I ran upstairs and grabbed my little girl. It got hard to see so quick. I thought I’d either have to jump out of the window or run for it. That was all going through my mind.

‘I grabbed a blanket, put it over my little girl’s face and ran. Thirty seconds later, the windows were smashing. You don’t think it could ever happen to you.’

The fire service put out the fire and said they believed the fire had started due to an electrical fault near to Lora’s television.

The whole house was gutted and Lora is staying temporarily with her mother.

Lora said: ‘Even my clothes are black. It’s all gone,’

Luckily Lora’s two other children were at school when the fire happened at 1pm on October 7.

Lora said: ‘Even things like my kids’ toys are gone.

‘My daughter asked me: “What about my Peppa Pig duvet cover?” She had just had a proper bed and bedsheets. It’s heartbreaking.’

Lora is waiting to be rehoused by the council and hopes to be in a house with her children by Christmas. She urged people to check their smoke detectors and turn off electrical items.

Lora added: ‘Check your electrics now and test every single fire alarm in your house.’

She said: ‘I think it will haunt me for a while.’