Nine children are rescued from fire in kitchen

James Taylor at his desk in his office at 116 High Street, Old Portsmouth.

Those halcyon days when pen and paper just worked!

0
Have your say

A FAMILY of 10 was evacuated from their home after their kitchen caught fire.

Nine children and one adult were led to safety by firefighters after the blaze broke out in Widley Road, Stamshaw, yesterday, at 1pm.

Paramedics treated the occupants for smoke inhalation and no one was injured.

The fire started after cooking was left unattended in the kitchen.

Firefighters used breathing apparatus and a hose reel to enter the house, put out the flames, ventilated the house and made it safe.

Crew manager Mark Jones said: ‘The family had been cooking chicken in the oven and had a wok on the stove.

‘This had overheated and caused the fire.

‘The family had attempted to put the fire out themselves.

‘We would like to remind people that if a fire starts they should get out and call 999 – people should not attempt to put out the fire themselves.’

The smoke alarms in the house had also been disconnected.

Mr Jones added: ‘We would also like to remind people to check their smoke alarms are working and to keep them connected.

‘We offer free home safety visits, which we stayed to do at this property.’

To find out more visit hantsfire.gov.uk.