YOUNGSTERS let their imaginations run wild at The Beach in Gunwharf Quays, Portsmouth.
Children of all ages built sand castles and dug holes in a massive sandpit created in the centre.
There is also a bouncy castle and trampolines at The Beach and an assortment of other seaside-themed activities will take place there throughout the summer holidays.
Karen Birbec, 53, of Farlington Avenue, Farlington, took her two grandaughters Hollie Jennings, two, and Imogen Bateman, one.
She said: ‘The kids loved it. They spent ages making a castle and digging, and then they went on the trampolines and an aeroplane ride.
‘It’s so nice to have something like that down there for them to do. The buckets and spades are all there already so you don’t need to worry about carrying anything.
‘And you know it’s a safe place for them to play, which is important.’
The Beach is open every day during the holiday period and entry is free.
WHAT’S ON TODAY AND TOMORROW
· Sit back and watch a showcase of local sports at the London 2012 Olympic Games Sports Taster Session. There is also the chance to try out the sports at the event in Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, which is on from 10am to 4pm tomorrow and Monday. It is aimed at children ages five to 16.
· Take part in a fun session at Portsmouth Gymnastics Centre, Portsmouth. Kids aged four to 14 can play games, jump on the trampolines and play in the pits. On from 10am to 11am or 1pm to 2pm on Monday. Costs £4.20 and visitors are asked to bring a drink. Advanced booking needed, call (023) 9266 0589.
· Indulge in stories and craft activities at Treasure Trove, in Carnegie Library, Fratton Road, Fratton. The event, for children aged four to 12, is on from 11am to 12pm on Monday. Entry is free, no need to book.
· Soak up some rays while watching Vane Steered model yachts racing. They will be competing in the 2012 Model Yachting Association A Class Championships every day from Sunday to Friday inclusive, on the main lake in Walpole Park, Gosport. Racing starts at 10am to around 5pm.
· Enjoy tales of Kings and Conquerors and make shields, helmets, crowns and jewels at The Little Adventurers Toddler Group’s Knights and Princesses event at Portchester Castle, Fareham. The event include a tour around the castle and is on from 10am to 12pm. Tickets cost £1, no need to book. For more information, email email@example.com
· Grab the skates and head down to Southsea Skatepark, Southsea, for an active session. The park is open daily from 10am to 6pm. Skates, skateboards, scooters and BMXs all welcome. Ages five to 16 only. Session one from 10am to 12pm costs £2.50, session two from 12pm to 3pm costs £3 and session three from 3pm to 6pm also costs £3. No need to book. Call (023) 9229 5360.
· Cut some shapes into large halved potatoes. Dip them into paint and use them as stamps to print images on to paper.
· Take the whole family to watch live music down at Southsea bandstand, on West Battery Gardens, Southsea. The line up on Sunday includes Tony Robinson and Win Bowen supported by The Claire Phoenix Band and The Chris Walker Swingtet. Performances from 1pm to 4pm.