RESIDENTS have voiced their fears over a proposed 6,000-home new town as the final plans are released for consultation.
Fareham Borough Council is inviting comments on the plan for the town – Welborne – which will be built on green fields north of the M27.
As previously reported, the final plan for the 6,000-home town was agreed by councillors last week, despite objections from residents.
But Shaun Cunningham, of Shearwater Avenue, Fareham, said: ‘The message from residents is clear – Welborne does not have public support which is why at every forum attended by councillors the message conveyed to them is one of rejection.
‘I know of no local society or community group in Fareham that supports Welborne.’
Rose Peters, also from Fareham, agreed.
She said that residents want to see a referendum on the proposals.
Mrs Peters said: ‘Welborne, the massive planned and imposed development, is still going ahead.
‘Residents’ hopes of being given any voice on Welborne were dashed again when councillors voted to approve the latest version of the 6,000-home development.
‘At the council meeting, one resident urged councillors to reconsider.
‘His deputation, alongside many others submitted over many years by community groups including Wallington, Funtley, Knowle Village and Wickham, the Council to Protect Rural England and the Fareham Society, was ignored.
‘Residents including myself have also made individual representations.
‘Yet all these separate but cohesive views are falling on deaf ears.’
The consultation period started yesterday at 5pm and residents will be able to make comments until April 11.
The council’s executive member for planning Cllr Keith Evans said: ‘We’ve asked people’s opinions throughout the development of the Welborne plan and this is another opportunity.
‘Representations will be forwarded to the planning inspectorate, who will independently examine the plan later this year.’
To make a representation go to fareham.gov.uk/consultations or call (01329) 236100 for more information.