Pensioner given first aid

General manager at the Royal Maritime Club in Portsmouth, 

John Alderson, pictured when the club's two historical visitors books were returned

Theft charge dismissed as mystery of stolen books signed by Queen Victoria goes on

Have your say

A PENSIONER dialled 999 after he suspected a fire had broken out in his home.

Firefighters from Cosham turned up to the property in Portsdown Road, Portchester.

But when they arrived they realised there was no fire and the elderly man instead needed medical attention.

Crews said the resident was suffering with dementia.

Medics from South Central Ambulance Service were called to check over the man and gave him first aid at the scene.

The incident happened at about 4am yesterday.