Pensioner needs oxygen after Portsmouth flat fills with smoke

The awards trophy

Sussex food and drink grand finalists celebrate success

0
Have your say

AN elderly woman was led to safety after her flat filled with smoke.

The 92-year-old woman needed oxygen therapy after large amounts of smoke came pouring out of her oven as she was cooking.

Three fire engines went to Park Court, Fratton Road, Fratton, at about 6.40pm on Saturday.

Southsea’s crew manager Jamie Wren said: ‘Oil from the food dripped on to the heating element in the oven and created a lot of smoke.

‘It set off her smoke alarms and the call came in from a neighbour.

‘We got there and the lady was in the flat quite confused.

‘We managed to get her to open the door and walked her down to an ambulance.’

Fans were used to clear smoke from the flat.

The woman was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital as a precaution.

Firefighters from Southsea later got a call to go to Liquid Envy nightclub in Portsmouth.

The call came in at 1.50am, but turned out to be a false alarm and no engines were sent.