Pensioner who died in house blaze is named

A refugee in South Sudan

A country ravaged by years of bitter civil war and conflict

0
Have your say

A PENSIONER who died in a fire has been named.

Firefighters took Peter Smeeton, 83, from his burning home in Nicholas Crescent, Fareham, on Saturday.

He later died at the scene. Mr Smeeton was named locally by residents and the Portsmouth and South East Hampshire coroner’s office is now investigating his death.

As reported, the fire took hold at 7.51am and firefighters described the blaze as severe.

Neighbours had told of their shock at seeing the fire spread quickly.

A woman in her 80s, named locally as Mr Smeeton’s wife Jean, was rescued by firefighters and was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham by ambulance.

She suffered minor injuries in the blaze. The fire is not being treated as suspicious, the fire service said.