PEOPLE getting hampers at a food bank have been moved to tears at the generosity of those that have donated.
That’s the message from the Beacon Food Bank, run by Portsdown Community Church in Havant, which is receiving donations as part of the News Christmas food appeal.
It was launched to encourage people to donate food to support those in need at Christmas time.
Ruth Scott runs the food bank. She said there has been a 300 per cent increase in the number of food hampers given out at the church.
Every week of the year, they hand out between 20 and 25 hampers to people in need.
Last year, they delivered 80 Christmas hampers in just one day.
Ruth said the Christmas food appeal is of a great benefit to people in need.
‘It fills the need. This is our busiest time of year,’ she said.
‘And it helps stock up our shelves for when people aren’t thinking so much about giving.
‘Although of course we are very grateful to the people who give throughout the year.’
Ruth said it is especially important that people are not forgotten at Christmas time.
‘People wouldn’t have a Christmas without it,’ she said. ‘There’s such an enormous pressure at this time of year. Everybody is looking forward to Christmas, they are all talking about it. That sort of pressure on a family that’s already struggling can push people over the edge and into despair and we don’t want that. For most people they eyes fill up with tears.
‘They can’t believe it.’
Supermarkets across the area have agreed to support the appeal.
All we ask is that you buy an extra item when you go shopping and put it on our trolley on your way out.
The food will then be distributed to food banks and churches across the area.
WHERE TO DONATE
· Tesco, Crasswell Street
· Morrisons, Victory Retail Park
· Morrisons, Anchorage Park
· Sainsbury’s, Farlington
· Portsmouth Food Bank - Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 12pm to 2pm, Kings Church, Elm Grove, Southsea
· Portsmouth Food Bank - Tuesday and Thursday, midday to 2pm, Paulsgrove Baptist Church, Woofferton Road, Paulsgrove
· Tesco, Quay Street
· Fareham and Gosport Basics Food Bank - Monday, Wednesday and Friday - 1pm to 3pm, Aspect House, Westbury Road, Fareham.
· Morrisons, Walpole Road
· Asda, Dock Road
· Jacobs Well Family Church, Tuesday - 10am to midday, 2a Layton Road, Bridgemary
· Tesco, Solent Road
· Portsdown Community Church, weekday mornings 10am to 12.30pm, The Beacon, 69-73 Meridian Centre, Havant
· Asda, Portland Road
· Morrisons, Lakesmere Road, Horndean
· Waterlooville Food Bank, Monday – 9.30am to 11.30am, Friday - 12pm to 2pm, Wecock Church, Kite Close
· The News, Lakeside, North Harbour
· Gosport office, 42 High Street, Gosport
· Fareham office, 88 West Street, Fareham
· Havant office, 7 West Street, Havant