THE winner of a lifetime achievement award has said ‘it’s not over yet’ as he picked up the gong at the JP South Hair and Beauty Awards.
Hundreds of hair stylists and beauticians turned out to celebrate the very best of the industry on Saturday night.
The awards saw salons from across the Portsmouth area take home nine trophies from 13 categories in a glamorous black tie event held at the Hilton Brighton Metropole.
Tony Wood and his team from Tony Wood Hairdressing, in Southsea, picked up a raft of awards.
He topped the night by winning Lifetime Achievement Award for making an ‘incredible contribution to the hairdressing industry’.
Judges said he was dedicated to teaching hairdressing, and has taken the Magic Scissors initiative to Uganda, teaching young people there.
He said: ‘It has been a bit of a journey and it’s not over yet and it is thanks to all of my staff. I really appreciate this, thank you.’
This year’s winner of Colour Technician of the Year Lydia Wolfe, from Tony Wood Hairdressing, said: ‘Thank you so much to the whole team that have worked there for five years.
‘I would not be here without them and thank you for this amazing opportunity.
‘It has changed my life so thank you.’
Nail Technician of the Year was picked up by Erin Searle, of Nails by Erin Searle.
Tony Wood Hairdressing also picked up the sought-after Hair Salon of the Year.
Co-owner Liam Fry said: ‘Every year we go for it and it is still a shock when we win every time as there is so much talent in the area. So it is phenomenal for us.’
The evening was presented by TV hair and beauty expert Carla Laszlo who said: ‘Congratulations to all our winners, runners-up and everybody who was shortlisted.’
The judges for this year’s competition were impressed by the quality of entries put forward and congratulated all the shortlist nominees for their hard work and dedication for the competition and towards the hair and beauty industry.
Organiser of the awards Liz Parker, from The News, said: ‘It was a really great evening and everyone had fun celebrating the talent from across the south.
‘Well done to all our winners and we hope to see everyone next year.’
Winners in full
• Hair Stylist of the Year - Andrew Smith from Andrew Smith Salon of Fareham.
• Junior Hair Stylist of the Year - Tanya Nash from Tony Wood Hairdressing of Southsea
• Colour Technician of the Year - Lydia Wolfe from Tony Wood Hairdressing of Southsea
• Gents Hair Stylist of the Year - Jamie Martin from The Barbership, Southsea
• Hair Styling Specialist of the Year - Natasha Chanel Semdo from Natasha Chanel Semdo Mobile and Bridal Hairdresser
• Beauty Salon of the Year - Profiles Health and Beauty Salon, Hassocks
• Nail Technician of the Year - Erin Searle from Nails by Erin Searl, Fareham
• Beauty Therapist of the Year - Leanne Macedo from Leanne Macedo Microblading and Beauty
• Apprentice of the Year - Carla Louise Whiteford from Tony Wood Hairdressing
• Traning Centre of the Year - BC Beauty Training, Brighton
• Hair Salon of the Year - Tony Wood Hairdressing
• Reader’s Choice - Profiles Health and Beauty Salon
• Lifetime Achievement Award - Tony Wood