Letter of the Day: Close The Pyramids when contract ends

editorial image
Former Great British Bake Off contestant Enwezor Nzegwu pictured at last year's cooking show.

Picture: Sarah Standing (161630-8733) PPP-160912-203331001

Great British Bake Off star hosts live cooking show in Portsmouth

0
Have your say

The Pyramids saga has been totally scandalous and the depths of the council’s mismanagement at taxpayer’s expense have still never been exposed.

A fundamental factor which I discovered by constant questioning, was that the council had given a legal agreement to Sport England to pay them about £5m in compensation if the facility was sold off.

This was part of Sport England’s demands in giving a grant for the Mountbatten Centre.

Without this huge threat, the options for redevelopment for a much more efficient sports facility and possibly a hotel, could have been considered.

I was told by a senior member of the Lib-Dem cabinet at the time that they would love to redevelop the site but they could not afford the legal ransom to Sport England, so they were forced to keep paying shedloads of money to keep it going.

I have also been told that the current subsidies amount to more than £500,000 a year, not just the £200,000 that they pay BHLive.

I agree with Portsea Islander on your web comments of November 3 that despite the millions spent to get it working again, it is still an out-dated facility which will never be able to provide standards expected by a 21st century generation of people at a prime seafront location.

There needs to be an in-depth review, and hard professional thinking about replacing it with a world-class sports and hotel facility when the contract ends in 2018.

Jerry Bamforth

Sennen Place, Port Solent