Man rescued pets from Portsmouth house fire

Jay Hutton, Alice Perrin and Steven Porter of E4's Tattoo Fixers

Have you got a tattoo that needs fixing?

5
Have your say

A MAN has been hailed as a hero after he rescued two dogs and a cat from a burning house.

Jay Emery, 22, lives with friend Sue Davis, 62, in Ariel Road, Fratton.

Suzanne Davis with her friend Jay Emery and her two dogs (left), Bonnie and Bruno. 'Picture: Ian Hargreaves (150568-4)

Suzanne Davis with her friend Jay Emery and her two dogs (left), Bonnie and Bruno. 'Picture: Ian Hargreaves (150568-4)

He had put his clothes in for a wash and was waiting in his bedroom for the cycle to finish when he heard Ms Davis’ cat meow loudly.

Jay, an operative for a demolition company, said: ‘I was just on my phone when the cat was meowing really loudly and making so much noise.

‘I went to see what it was and straight away I was hit by a strong smell of burning plastic and saw thick, black smoke.

‘I saw the washing machine was on fire so I tried to put it out.

Damage caused in the fire. 'Picture: Ian Hargreaves (150568-2)

Damage caused in the fire. 'Picture: Ian Hargreaves (150568-2)

‘I emptied a drawer from my bedroom and filled it with water and threw it on the fire, but it didn’t do anything.

‘I tried a few times and then in the end I opened the front and back doors to let the smoke out and the pets.’

He rescued Ms Davis’ 17-year-old cat Smoky, her German shepherd Bruno and West Highland white terrier Bonnie.

Ms Davis said: ‘What Jay did for me is beyond the usual realms of friendship – he was a real hero.

‘My pets are my life and I have had them for years.

‘I cannot say thank you enough to him because I really do love my animals and he rescued them.’

A passer-by saw the flames coming out of the house and called 999.

The incident happened at around 5.40pm on Monday.

Two crews from Southsea and one from Cosham, Hampshire police and South Central Ambulance Service 
attended.

Jay was treated for inhaling smoke.

Ms Davis, a retired painter and decorator, added: ‘The pets are a little nervous in the house, but I’m just so grateful Jay rescued them.’

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people to check their electrical appliances regularly after the fire was believed to have started from a faulty plug.

A spokesman said: ‘Plugs and wiring should be regularly checked and the correct fuses should always be used.

‘Any electrical appliance should also, where possible, be tested by a qualified electrician and ideally should be serviced once a year.

‘In the event of any fire, our advice is always to get out, stay out and then call 999.’

Back to the top of the page