IMAGINE opening up your kitchen cupboards and finding a snake staring back at you.
Believe it or not, that was what happened to Kayleigh Neal. The 27-year-old lives in a ground-floor flat in Devonshire Avenue, Southsea.
On Saturday afternoon, she thought her cat was behaving a bit strangely while sitting in her kitchen.
So she opened her cupboard door, and it was then that she saw the snake.
She said: ‘I opened up my cupboard door and all I saw in front of me was this snake.
‘It took a couple of minutes for me to realise what it was.
‘I jumped from one side of the kitchen to the other in complete shock.
‘I have never been bothered by snakes but when you have got one in your kitchen it’s a whole different story.’
Kayleigh called the RSPCA who told her if she thought it was dangerous, she should call the police.
But the snake disappeared again and Kayleigh was unable to find it.
‘I went and sat on my sofa and I didn’t want to put my feet on the ground. I was transfixed. I didn’t know where it could be,’ she said.
‘Then I got a friend to come round and we emptied out the cupboards and found it underneath some tea towels.
‘It had gone through a hole. There was no way of getting it out unless somebody knocked the wall down to get to it.
‘I had to leave it in my flat for a couple of days.’
When Kayleigh came home from work yesterday, it had appeared back in the cupboard.
She called a friend round who helped her to put it into a safe container.
‘It’s so weird. Everyone has been amazed by it,’ she added.
‘I can’t even open my cupboards in the same way any more.
‘It could easily have wandered into my bedroom.
‘I was home alone. I didn’t know what to do at all.
‘I’m fine now. I’m relieved it’s been caught.’
Now, Kayleigh and her brother Will, 25, who lives with her, have decided to keep the snake as a pet.
‘My brother is absolutely chuffed about it,’ she added.
‘He’s always wanted a pet snake.
‘We never would have contemplated buying one.
‘Now, we are coming up with a name.’