DOZENS of kind-hearted volunteers spent a day packing up food to give to needy families.
Co-ordinated by the Beacon Food Bank in the Meridian Centre, Havant more than 100 hampers were filled with frozen turkey, potatoes, selection boxes and presents for the children.
Each of the packages were tailored to individual families – with some big enough to feed up to 10 children.
Mayor of Havant Councillor Marjorie Smallcorn also got stuck in with the packing.
Ruth Scott, the community manager at the church, oversaw the huge operation yesterday.
She said: ‘The hampers are going to the most needy families in the Havant area.
‘We had lots of volunteers packing the hampers.
‘It’s so important that the community we live in is aware that not everyone has everything that they need.
‘We know that everyone who receives a hamper is grateful.
‘Sometimes we ring them up to say they will be given one and they burst into tears. On behalf of them all I say “thank you”.’
Companies that have helped include Pfizer, SSE, Iceland, Barclays, Lloyds, BTU, Clockwork Removals, Southern Water and H&S Aviation. Schoolchildren also volunteered.
Nicola Ward, from Pfizer, said: ‘We get so wrapped up in our personal schedules that we don’t see the social issues that are present on our own doorstep.
‘This was a real eye-opener for me.
‘Firstly to understand that there are so many families in our local area that are struggling and, secondly, to witness the generosity of the general public.
‘I am grateful for the opportunity to be able to make a personal contribution as part of a bigger Havant team.’
Where can you donate Christmas food to our appeal?
- Sainsbury’s, Farlington
- Asda, Fratton
- Tesco, Crasswell Street
- Morrisons, Anchorage Park
- Morrisons, Victory Retail Park
- Sainsbury’s, Commercial Road
- Salvation Army, Lake Road, Monday - Friday, 10am to 3pm
- Pompey in the Community, Anson Road, Fratton, Monday - Friday, 9am to 5pm
- The News, Lakeside, North Harbour
- Morrisons, Horndean
- Asda, Portland Road
- Sainsburys, Hambledon Road (opens on Wednesday)
- Waterlooville Food Bank, Monday - 9.30am to 11.30am, Friday - 12pm to 2pm, Wecock Church, Kite Close
- Asda, Speedfields Park
- Sainsbury’s, Broadcut
- Tesco, Quay Street
- Fareham and Gosport Basics Food Bank, Mon/Wed/Fri - 1pm to 3pm, Aspect House, Westbury Road, Fareham.
- The News, West Street
- Morrisons, Walpole Road
- Tesco, Alver Valley
- Portsdown Community Church, weekday mornings 10am to 12.30pm, The Beacon, 69-73 Meridian Centre, Havant