Most lovers will spend Valentines Day at home and are likely to watch Love Actually or get in the mood to the strains of I will always Love You.
But the majority resent paying more for flowers and feel that the day has become too commercialised.
Those are some of the results of our fun survey that ran this week on portsmouth.co.uk
Questions and Answers
1. How many people will you send Valentine’s Day cards to?
Will not send any cards: 18%
One person: 81%
Two people: 1%
2. Will your Valentine’s card be anonymous, or will you sign it?
3. What is your ideal Valentine’s Day gift?
Home-made gift 12%
4. Do you mind paying more for flowers for Valentine’s Day?
5. Would you accept a Valentine’s Day marriage proposal?
6. What is your favourite romantic film?
The Notebook 4%
Notting Hill 13%
Love Actually 29%
The Holiday 2%
When Harry Met Sally 0%
You’ve Got Mail 4%
Officer And A Gentleman 5%
Pretty Woman 12%
7. Will you go away for Valentine’s or stay at home?
Go away 9%
Stay at home 89%
8. What is your favourite love song?
Love is All Around 3%
Love is in the Air 2%
Can You Feel the Love Tonight? 7%
Everything I do (I Do It For You) 7%
My Heart Will Go On 2%
The Wind Beneath My Wings 4%
I Got You Babe 4%
Love Me Tender 4%
I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing 13%
Somethin’ Stupid 3%
I Will Always Love You 15%
9. Who is your favourite romantic writer?
Judith McNaught 3%
Julie Garwood 4%
Nora Roberts 2%
Johanna Lindsey 1%
Jane Austen 36%
Jude Deveraux 1%
Julia Quinn 1%
Nicholas Sparks 10%
10. Will you dine in or dine out on Valentine’s Day?
Dine in 65%
Dine out 32%
11. How much do you spend on Valentine’s Day?
Less than £50 70%
£50 - £100 13%
£100 - £250 10%
£250 - £500 0%
£500 - £1,000 0%
More than £1,000 2%
12. Has Valentine’s Day become too commercialised?
13. What’s the most romantic thing someone’s ever done for you on Valentine’s Day?
Just being there
Fell asleep on me while watching a movie
My hubby taking me out for a meal each year
Proposed on the seafront
Drew a lovely Valentine’s card to me! Although it looked childish, I love it so much!
Let me rest and did all the household chores
Left work early, so we could spend the evening together. He’d booked it off months in advance because it’s hard to get time off, so meant something.
Serenaded me in my pub
Indoor carpet picnic with no need to dress up or go out or see anyone
Rose petal bath.. glass of wine and prerolled fags
Sorry, can’t answer that. Too rude!
14. What is the best chat up line you have ever heard?
*91 people took part in the poll. Some did not answer all questions, meaning that total percentages for some answers are lower that 100.