Plumb Center boss tells of shock after fire destroys Portsmouth base

WATCH: Royal Navy drone video of HMS Queen Elizabeth

0
Have your say

The boss of a Portsmouth plumbing store severely damaged by fire today told of his devastation.

Andrew Smith, supervisor at Plumb Center, said: ‘I’m in complete shock.

‘I got a call from one of the lads saying don’t bother coming in the place is on fire, it’s burning to the ground.

‘I’ve flown in the car to come round here where I couldn’t get down the road.

‘I’ve worked there for 15 years, I can’t believe it.

‘It’s a day to remember.’

The 45-year-old, of Station Road, Copnor, added: ‘I feel physically sick in the stomach, it’s shocking.’

Forty firefighters tackled the blaze at the premises in Nevile Shute Road, which broke out at around 4.40am today.

Breeze Volkswagen, the unit attached to Plumb Center, was badly smoke damaged in the blaze.

Dan Smith, 29, from Teddington Road, in Southsea, is a driver and valet at the garage.

He arrived at around 7.30am and said; ‘When we opened our shutters it was full of smoke.

‘Our place is covered in smoke, all the vehicles covered in soot and smoke.

‘All the computers are covered.’