Developer asks to chop down Fareham Creek trees it’s already axed

BARE This view across Fareham Creek shows where trees have been removed
BARE This view across Fareham Creek shows where trees have been removed
Secretary of State for Defence Gavin Williamson. Pictute: LPhot Ioan Roberts

Defence secretary refuses Treasury demands for military cuts

0
Have your say

DEVELOPERS have asked a council for permission to chop down trees – after already doing so.

Trees and hedgerows along the foreshore of Fareham Creek on the Cams Estate were removed at the start of the month to make way for a restaurant being built in the style of the old Cams Tidal Mill which used to stand near the site.

Fareham Borough Council’s planning committee granted permission for the controversial plans last April, but listed 28 conditions that had to be met before work could begin.

The developer, Strand Harbour Development, has now put in a new planning application asking for retrospective planning permission for cutting down the trees. The plan also addresses the points relating to sea defences, landscaping, protected species, contamination and archaeology.

Civic watchdog the Fareham Society had blasted the removal of the trees.

Paul Cope, from the society, said they were aware of the new application but had yet to study it and what it would mean for the site.

But Portchester Society backed the plans.

Chairwoman Jean Withinshaw said: ‘I’m sure Strand Harbour will do it correctly. I really do think it will be an asset to Portchester.’

Any comments about the new application should be with the council by October 18. It will then go before the planning committee.

David Hosier, from Strand, based on the Cams Hall Estate, said: ‘We are following the normal processes of a planning application.’

But he would not comment on the removal of the trees.

Planning committee chairman Cllr Nick Walker had previously warned that legal action could be taken against Strand if it was found to have acted prematurely.