A WOMAN has spoken of her disgust at being put in a damp and wet flat by her council, which caused her partner to become ill.
Charley Lewis and her partner Rick Smith had been living in temporary accommodation with their newborn baby Laci May when they were moved by Fareham Borough Council into the First Wessex flat in Meon House on High Street, Fareham.
Within weeks, Rick caught bronchitis and the penetrating dampness had ruined their furniture and destroyed their daughter’s room.
Charley, 25, said: ‘It’s horrendous. All we want is somewhere that isn’t wet.’
Peter Walters, from First Wessex, said: ‘We were aware of repair issues at Meon House. Following investigations carried out by independent surveyors, we will be carrying out remedial works to alleviate the problems while further investigations take place to find a solution.’
Spokesman for housing, Cllr Brian Bayford, said: ‘The property is owned by First Wessex and is used as temporary accommodation for homeless families.
‘At the time of moving the family to this accommodation, the council was not aware of any issues. We have spoken with First Wessex and the flat will not be let again until the repair works have been completed.’