ALMOST 500 electric blankets tested in Hampshire failed to meet modern safety standards.
Hampshire County Council held roadshows across the county – including at Havant, Petersfield, Fareham, and Gosport – to check whether people’s electric blankets were safe to use.
A total of 1,199 blankets were tested and 497 failed to meet safety standards.
The failure rate was 41 per cent – a seven per cent increase on last year.
The most common reason for failure was old age which had caused deterioration to internal wiring.
The checks are important as each year there are about 1,000 fires caused by faulty electric blankets in the UK. Around 20 people are killed and 250 injured in these fires.
Councillor Ken Thornber, leader of Hampshire County Council, said: ‘As the cold nights draw closer, it is encouraging to see that so many residents have benefited from the scheme. While the high failure rate is of concern it is reassuring that so many potentially dangerous blankets were taken out of use.’