Home plans for Harry Redknapp’s land to go on display

Harry Redknapp ENGSUS00120130116120739
Harry Redknapp ENGSUS00120130116120739
HMS Queen Elizabeth

WATCH: HMS Queen Elizabeth close up

20
Have your say

PLANS to transform derelict land owned by ex-Pompey manager Harry Redknapp into retirement homes are to go on display.

As reported, developers McCarthy & Stone wants to redevelop the site of the former Savoy buildings, opposite South Parade Pier, in Southsea.

The firm is to now hold a public exhibition on Thursday, May 8, where residents can find out more about the proposals.

The event, from 3.30pm to 7pm, is being held at the Royal Beach Hotel, in St Helens Parade, Southsea.

A McCarthy & Stone spokesman said: ‘We’ve already spent time carefully researching the architecture and character of the local area, but we need to ensure that what we build is what our customers, as well as the local community, would like to see in Southsea.

‘Our project team will be at the forthcoming exhibition to answer questions and listen to feedback on what we’ve done so far, and the comments we receive will help us tailor our proposals into something people will want to see, enjoy and call home.’

McCarthy & Stone, which would take over the land if planning permission is granted by Portsmouth City Council, has already held meetings with individual residents so they could ask questions.

The proposals include a small shop, which the Southern Co-operative wants to occupy. It comes after Councillor Gerald Vernon-Jackson, leader of the council, said he would like to see £100,000 of developers contributions which McCarthy & Stone would have to pay the council going towards the repair of South Parade Pier.

Cllr Vernon-Jackson said he would also like to see the new development keep the Savoy buildings name in keeping with the history of the area.

‘It’s always good if people know more, and it will be good for McCarthy & Stone to be able to explain to people its plans for the site,’ he said.

‘I am pleased that there will be something happening on that site.

‘I regularly talk to ministers in London about the disgrace that a developer can hold land for five years and do nothing.

‘Harry has owned that for five years and done nothing.

‘We know McCarthy & Stone will develop it and it’s a good thing that is happening.’

A spokesman for The Southern Co-operative said: ‘We look forward to working with McCarthy & Stone on this project to provide local residents with a convenience store.’

If people are not able to attend the exhibition, then they will be able to find out more about the proposals at mccarthyandstone-consultation.co.uk/southsea

The website is due to go live nearer the time of the event.