Music festival Gosfest hangs in the balance

Le Freak performing at Gosfest 2014
Le Freak performing at Gosfest 2014
Chancellor Philip Hammond holding his red ministerial box outside 11 Downing Street, London, before heading to the House of Commons to deliver his Budget

City Labour MP slams budget for ‘failing Portsmouth’

  • Future of Gosfest is left in doubt after council withdraw provisional permission for Stokes Bay to be used as location
  • Letter addressed to company from the council said new developments had come to light
  • Director of Eventures said she was unaware why they had lost permission
0
Have your say

THE future of a popular music festival has been left in doubt after Gosport Borough Council has banned Gosfest from taking place on its land.

The festival, run by Eventures International Ltd, was due to take place in Stokes Bay this year.

We don’t know what will happen to the music festival now.

Director of Eventure International Limited Chloe Palmer

But now the council has cancelled the company’s booking of the site, and it refuses to say why.

With 3,000 tickets already sold and headline acts including Union J and James Arthur already announced, the future of the festival is unknown.

Chloe Palmer, director of Eventures, said: ‘We don’t know what will happen to the music festival now.

‘We are not sure why the council has said we cannot use Stokes Bay for 
Gosfest.

‘We received a letter from them but it just said it was due to a number of developments which had come to light last week.

‘We don’t know what they are and the council haven’t told 
us.’

Gosfest was expecting to draw 30,000 spectators to Stokes Bay, from July 30 until August 2, to see headline acts James Arthur, Union J and Scouting for 
Girls.

But the company is reassuring people that the event has not been cancelled and alternative locations are ‘being explored with the utmost priority and the company is confident that a suitable replacement will be able to be confirmed and announced shortly.’

As well as the music festival, the food festival planned on Walpole Park by Eventures, has also lost permission to be held there.

Ms Palmer added: ‘We do have some sort of back-up plan for the food festival so this could still go ahead.

In the letter addressed to the company it said ‘the council will not allow Eventures International Ltd or any other company or organisation associated with Miss Chloe Palmer or Mr Paul Cobb to use council 
land.’

Gosport Borough Council refused to reveal what the reasons for its decision were when asked by The News last night.

A council spokeswoman said: ‘The decision that our land would not be available for Gosfest or the food festival, and that their provisional booking had been cancelled, was relayed to Eventures International Limited yesterday.

‘Neither of these events are council-run.

‘To avoid enquiries of where is it is going to be held, or indeed if it is going to be held, from those who have already purchased tickets, we felt it necessary to put something on [our] website as only Eventures International Limited can advise on this.’