PARENTS of a three-year-old boy who fell from a first-floor flat have blamed a council for the accident after it failed to fix their broken window locks.
Cameron Collier plummeted 10ft from Barclay House in Gosport while his parents’ backs were turned.
Luckily, he landed in a wheelbarrow underneath the window and only suffered minor bruising.
Now the toddler’s mum and dad are calling for better security at the temporary housing block in Trinity Green.
They say they told Gosport Borough Council – which owns the building – that the window locks were faulty but nothing was done.
The council has now ordered a review of all the building’s window locks.
Cameron’s father, 27-year-old Arron O’Sullivan, said: ‘It seems it has taken my three-year-old son to nearly kill himself for them to do anything.
‘The locks on the windows hadn’t been working. We told the council our concerns and they didn’t do anything.
‘We tried screwing the windows shut ourselves.’
Mr O’Sullivan was taking the bins out while his partner, Ruth Collier, 22, was tending to their other two children.
‘He opened the window and fell out and landed on a wheelbarrow,’ added Mr O’Sullivan.
‘Luckily he was just bruised. Those couple of moments felt like a lifetime.
‘We were running downstairs thinking he could have been dead.’
Gosport Borough Council has now moved the family into a ground floor flat and is replacing all window locks in the building.
The council says it was only made aware of the problem once Mr O’Sullivan attempted to fix the window himself and believed the problem had been solved.
It said from now on any similar reports would be inspected.
The leader of the council, Cllr Mark Hook, said: ‘This is a nightmare for any parent – a moment’s inattention and an active toddler opens a window and falls.
‘Fortunately their son didn’t fall from a great height and he got away with only superficial injuries.
‘It is a bit of a puzzle how the boy not only bypassed the window lock his father had fixed himself, but also managed to open the window latch – he’s clearly a bright, capable young boy – all the more reason for parents to be careful when leaving youngsters unattended.
‘It is never a good idea for residents of Barclay House to try DIY themselves – the council has experienced operatives on hand to fix such problems.’
The council said it has reported the incident to the Health and Safety Executive but does not expect there to be an investigation.