PLANS to introduce a wave of new beach huts are to go out for consultation.
Portsmouth City Council wants to do more to improve the city’s seafront and make extra income to offset future cuts to the budget.
It aims to do that by bringing in 75 new beach huts across three rows which people would pay for as they do with existing ones.
It comes after an application for 100 new beach huts were submitted last year, but plans were put on hold as concerns were raised about the fact they would be 4m high.
Councillor Luke Stubbs, Tory cabinet member for planning, regeneration and economic development (PRED), said the latest ones would not be as overbearing.
‘We are trying to overcome some of the weaknesses of that previous application,’ he said.
‘The ones proposed were 4m high, which was excessive, and spreading them about should lessen the impact. As a councillor in Eastney I receive frequent complaints that the seafront is declining and there is nothing to do there.
‘This is partly an attempt to bring a bit of life to the seafront, but there’s no getting away from the fact this is also a budgetary matter.’
Twenty-five beach huts would be added to the existing line of huts at Esplanade Gardens.
Another 25 could go near the eastern end of the sea wall which runs from St George’s Road, Southsea, towards Canoe Lake, and the same number could be added to the east of Southsea Beach Cafe.
Cllr Ben Dowling, Lib Dem spokesman for PRED, said: ‘We are very aware the waiting list for beach huts is considerable and they are a much-loved service. It’s important we try to increase their capacity.’
Cllr Stubbs said he could not rule out whether charges for huts would go up in future.
Costs will be decided when the council approves next year’s budget.
Research will also be carried out into whether the council could introduce holiday homes in a bid to generate cash.
A potential site could be part of a car park owned by the council near Eastney Cruising Association.
The consultation is set to be approved at a meeting on October 7.