Portsmouth schools could warn children about terror

jpns-19-08-17 retro Aug 2017

Wedding - Sgt Brian Brown and his wife Shirley on their wedding day

THIS WEEK IN 1980: Parachute sergeant’s mum had premonition her son had died

2
Have your say

SCHOOLCHILDREN could be taught about the danger of religious radicalisation.

It was one of the proposals put forward in a meeting between Muslim leaders, politicians and the police at the Jami Mosque in Southsea yesterday.

It was called by Portsmouth City Council leader Councillor Donna Jones, who believes it’s important everyone works together to stop young men leaving the city to fight for Isil.

Cllr Jones said: ‘This was a really positive meeting, and was the first of what I hope will be many. It’s imperative we work with the community and the Imams to deal with the radicalisation of young Muslims.

‘We will be creating leaflets that will be distributed, and I’m keen to work with Muslim women.

‘Often it’s mothers and sisters who can spot different behaviours, and it’s important we look at all aspects of the community.’

Cllr John Ferrett, Labour leader, said: ‘It was recognised that more needs to be done in schools, more needs to be done by the council and with families.

‘The Muslim community are keen that children are aware. The council can only reach out to those schools under its control.’

Mosque committee chairman Abdul Jalil said: ‘We want to discourage young people to go to fight in Syria, or anywhere else in the world, and want to stop the radicalisation.

‘The Imam will be speaking about this at the mosque on Friday, and we are also hoping to set up a conference inviting scholars to talk about this.’

As reported, leaders in the community along with the police signed a statement last month condemning Isil.

It comes after six men from Portsmouth travelled to Syria to take part in fighting.

Muhammad Mehdi Hassan, 19, a former pupil at St John’s College in Southsea, became the fourth jihadi from Portsmouth to be killed fighting for Isil in Syria in the past year.

Mr Hassan, of Southsea, was killed in Kobani on the border of Syria and Turkey.

He was one of six Portsmouth men who travelled to fight for the terrorist group using the nickname Britani Brigade Bangladeshi Bad Boys.

Manunur Roshid, 24, of Buckland, was killed on October 17, and Muhammad Rahman, a 25-year-old former Primark worker, died in August. Ifthekar Jaman, 23, died in December.