HUNDREDS of people have joined the fight against a housing development planned on a green site.
More than 500 people turned out over two nights as they argued against plans to build 1,550 homes in a purposely-kept gap between Gosport and Fareham.
People at Crofton Community Centre, in Stubbington Lane, Stubbington, tonight raised concerns over increased traffic, flooding and even worried over an increase in the Peel Common pong.
Raymond Bland, 71, of Clee Avenue, Fareham, said the gap must be kept as he does not want to live in a ‘Solent City.’
He said: ‘I do not want to live in “Solent City”. I’d rather live in Fareham. I think we should keep the strategic gap.’
As reported, Hallam Land wants to build 1,550 homes off Peake Lane.
There would also be a primary school with 465 places, a health centre and pub.
But Fareham Borough Council leader Sean Woodward was quick to point out a new access road in the plan had nothing to do with Hampshire County Council’s proposed Stubbington bypass.
He said: ‘We do not believe this is a Stubbington bypass.
‘It is the service road they need to produce to access their housing.’
And he made it clear the current proposal by the county council, where he leads on transport, is not reliant on funding from housing. A bid has been put to government for the cash.
He added that the developer says it is meeting Fareham’s need for housing but that the borough is due to have 136 more homes than it needs over a 20-year period if Welborne is approved.
So far there have been 300 letters of objection to the plans, with just six letters supporting the scheme.
Mum-of-three Sara Bryant, 34, of Brendon Road, said she is worried about the impact of the development if it is approved both when complete and when it is under construction.
She said: ‘I’ve got massive concerns. I do not understand why we need so many houses.
‘It would make Longfield Avenue even busier because that is where the proposed access is.’
Stephen Jenkins from Hampshire County Council told gathered residents that it is recommending the borough council should refuse permission.
He said it, as the highway authority, had asked the developer to carry out an assessment but it had not done so.
Planners are due to have finished with the application by July 22, after receiving all information and objections.
It will then go to councillors to refuse or grant permission.