Setback for youth work scheme

Portsmouth South MP Stephen Morgan at the Scrap The Cap rally, held in Guildhall Square

Hundreds turn out for Scrap The Cap rally

0
Have your say

A SCHEME to provide summer work for teenagers in Horndean looks unlikely to go ahead this year.

Horndean Parish Council runs the scheme and may now have to return a £3,000 grant given to help fund it.

The seasonal youth workers project has run since 2009, but indecision and demands for a more rigorous selection process mean it may not happen this year.

Council clerk Tracy Predeth started the project, which enables young people to help countryside wardens on environmental and conservation projects.

She said: ‘Virtually all applicants were accepted previously, and some came from Petersfield, Clanfield and Waterlooville.

‘Now members want an interview process put in place and have indicated candidates should only come from Horndean.

‘But at the moment no decision has been taken and it looks unlikely one will be made in time, so it looks too late for the scheme to go ahead this year.’

The scheme was funded by a £3,000 grant given by Hampshire county councillor Sam Darragh.

If it does not go ahead, the grant will be given back or used for another youth project, said Mrs Predeth.

The council is due to discuss the faltering scheme at its annual meeting on Monday, May 28, starting at 7pm in Jubilee Hall.